Worthy

Nothing starts an argument better than politics, especially in the current situation *cue Harri rolling eyes*. But when you’re in school, the actual important shit doesn’t matter (excuse my French). 
Now I definitely wasn’t suited to school, let alone the trials and tribulations that came in hand. In primary school, I fully remember having a debate with the joker of the class when he stole my pink fluffy pen (you know the ones with a spring on top and it bobbles around as you write) and he just didn’t see why it meant so much to me because ‘it’s just a pen’. 
In secondary school, everything stepped up and people could be horrible. But I remember this one time, year eight, I had just started my period (shocker), and I had gone out of the classroom to come back finding some little so and so (I could think of better words) rifling through my bag, finding my massive cushion pads (thanks mum) and waving them in front of the class (yay for me). It was by far the most embarrassing point I’d ever had in my life thus far. And definitely meant a lot to me. 
But the embarrassment turns into funny moments that I learn to take with a pinch of salt. And it gets worse….
College, the only toilet available in the block was the disabled one, with a lock that you couldn’t physically slide across. I’m pretty sure I triple checked the handle, alas, I sit down to have a wee, the door flings open as I’m wiping, and this girl’s face makes proper eye contact with mine, as we both didn’t quite know how to react. Obviously, I go tomato-soup-coloured bright red but thank god she’d fled as quickly as I would’ve if I could’ve. 
The list goes on and on. 
Snarting in public. At my first ever job. (sneezing and farting)
Walking into work with my skirt tucked in my knickers. 
Feeling a breeze on the cheeks and being told by a customer at the restaurant that you’re working at, that your jeans had fully ripped down the crack. And then your manager at the time coming to you with duct tape. And you think she’s serious and actually get upset about it. 
AND THESE THINGS DON’T STOP HAPPENING
But instead of getting upset about it, I laugh, people laugh WITH me and I’m not scared to be the odd one out (or the only normal one but whatever floats your boat). And don’t be fooled, this is a learnt skill and has taken me a long time to develop. But please make sure that when someone laughs AT you, don’t be afraid to pull out your sassy card. This one time when I was at my lowest, I had just left uni and the only job I could get was waitressing. Not that waitressing is bad, I just desperately needed occupying and finances. The team were fantastic apart from this one chef. Had been asking me out ever since I arrived, but 1. Already have Will (soz not soz) 2. Definitely not my type and 3. He has/had a wife. Hopefully the latter. Anyway, after politely declining MANY times he turned and was horrid. If I didn’t come at the click of his fingers, he would be calling me the worst name under the sun in a different language. So one day, he called me that, and I didn’t know I could be so sassy. I told him to shove his food where the sun doesn’t shine and if he isn’t going to start talking to me nicely, he won’t have anyone to take his food. And I’ll be seeing him, See You Next Tuesday, never. 
End result, I resigned because I’m worth more than that. Even at my lowest point, I knew I was worth something. Even at YOUR lowest points, you are worth something too. 
These crazy funny moments shape you.
These sassy moments shape you.
These low moments do too. 


oh alf


ps- as a reminder, if you are affected by any of the issues discussed in the blog, please seek help. 
pps- confirm subscription otherwise you ain't getting nothing
ppps- we are still fundraising, so if I got you to chuckle donate here https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/fiandharrisadventures

Comments

Popular Posts