DISCUSSION; turning 21

Turning 21 for most people is a rather exciting time, and don’t get me wrong I’m super excited- but I’m also being very reflective of my childhood and teenage years now that I’m a ‘proper’ adult. And as I write this, I am yet to leap to 21 but I’m sure as you read this I’m already there. So what have I got to look forward to? 

I think one thing that has bugged me throughout my teenage life is that people think less of me because of my age. And I don’t mean people treating me like a child, although some have, I mean the prejudice people make based on the assumption that you’re a young person. They think that you will be rude, or unruly. And don’t get me wrong, that’s not true for everyone, but for the general public when I’m working it’s relentless. 

The most prominent example of this is SO vivid in my memory. During the brexit vote (dun dun dun) I was 17, so I didn’t actually get to vote. But I was working, and I was being kind and chatty to these customers when they came out with the assumption that I’d vote a certain way because I’m ‘young’. Because they said, the ‘young people’ wanted to ruin the country and had no idea what they were voting for. 

So I am hoping people will be less judgmental. Emphasis on the hoping

Now that I’m 21 and get paid more at my job, does that highlight that worth is based on age? Even though I am literally doing the exact same job? This is definitely the picture that has been painted. Thanks UK government. Keep paying yourselves our rightful wage. 

Kidding aside, I am legally able to adopt a child! But as an adult child myself I wouldn’t think that’s a great idea. Can you tell I’m in a sarcastic mood as I write this?

Something that has definitely played on my mind recently is justice. And equality. I can’t explain how angry it makes me that other people have an innate tendency to treat others than less than themselves. And this is the message I intend to get across in this post, no matter what social conventions related to you say; you matter to me. If you are discriminated against because of anything you cannot control, you still matter to me. Experiencing age-based discrimination? You are still a human, and they are not worthy to be in your life. Experienced sexism? Let’s have a more equal representation of the genders in government. You are no lesser of a person because of your genitalia. Experienced racism? That should be long gone; but no. Here we are. 2020 and people are still being treated lesser because of their race or colour of their skin. And that makes me physically angry. 

As my birthday wish, can we all make the effort to advocate for social change? Here’s some simple things to do:
-       Smile. It’s free. And people normally smile back giving you a release of happy hormones.
-       Say thank you. Thank the cashier, thank you employees or co-workers, thank everyone who turns up to help you. 
-       If you think something you are going to say is controversial, keep it to yourself and discuss with those close to you instead of making others uncomfortable. 
-       Treat people with the respect they deserve. And if they don’t relay the same behaviour, walk away. They will get the point eventually. 
-       Love yourself. Because you have to do that before you can do any of the above. 

Look after yourselves, 

Harri xx

Comments

Popular Posts